Thursday, November 5, 2009

Getting settled in

This blog will now be my main spot to post my projects and such, tweets just weren't cutting it. I'll still try to post snippets and less relevant stuff @ http://twitter.com/skitchin

I've recently decided to try my hand at electrical engineering, so I went ahead and did the obvious and bought an Arduino. The first project I've decided to tackle is an RGB LED light bar, which I've wanted for some time now. There are already manufactured versions of these, but they're just not exactly what I want. For one, you only get to pick between 15 colors. Also, the IR sensor is mounted so that the light must face you to some degree, which won't work, since I want them shining on the ceiling and walls, not my retinas. Ofcourse, Arduino should let me do some pretty intense light shows.

I ordered two RGB LED modules from a local supplier, SuperBrightLEDs. I'm still waiting on my resistors and transistors to arrive from Futurlec.

When all is said and done, I plan on doing some sort of fit into a 120V lightbar I own. Two RGB LED modules, 6 diodes, which will be controlled individually via Pulse-Width modulation. Still need to figure out the IR receiver bit - as far as remote, this remote from ThinkGeek looks perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment